Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians
Other titles : animal care technician, animal care technologist, animal health technician, animal health technician, animal health technologist supervisor, animal operating room attendant, laboratory animal technician, laboratory animal technologist registered animal health technologist (RAHT), registered veterinary technician (RVT), veterinarian assistant, veterinary laboratory technician, veterinary technician, veterinary technician supervisor, veterinary technologist
Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
Main duties :
- provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals;
- handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery;
- produce radiographs, collect and analyse samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems;
- assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery;
- prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of a veterinarian;
- administer treatments as prescribed by a veterinarian;
- provide wound and bandage care;
- conduct specialized procedures such as animal identification and hoof trimming;
- educate and advise clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care;
- assist in laboratory research;
- perform routine animal dental procedures and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry;
- may perform a variety of office management and clerical duties.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program lenght : 3 years
This program is designed to train students to be animal health technicians, mainly in clinical sectors and in research. The work of a technician consists of assisting a veterinarian or research worker in animal experimentation in their work. In both cases, the technician would be called upon to perform tests on the animals, to care for them and to set up the appropriate systems for the carrying out of technical aspects in animal health services.