Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
Other titles : audio amplifier repairer - production, biomedical and laboratory equipment repairer, biomedical engineering technician (health and social services network), biomedical engineering technologist, calibration tester, fibre optics technician, fibre optics technologist, holographics technician, holographics technologist, home lighting technician, laser technician, space vision technologist, test equipment repairer - oil exploration, test technician, underground distribution technologist - electrical power
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
Main duties :
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists
- Design, develop and test power equipment and systems, industrial process control systems, telecommunication, broadcast, recording and audiovisual systems, micro-electronic systems and circuits, computers, computer systems and networks, and computer software
- Supervise the building and testing of prototypes according to general instructions and established standards
- Conduct or supervise the installation, commissioning, and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems other than aircraft electronics or instruments
- Carry out applied research in fields of electrical and electronic engineering and physics under the direction of scientists or engineers
- Set up and operate specialized and standard test equipment to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of electrical and electronic components, assemblies and systems
- Write specifications, schedules and technical reports and control schedules and budgets.
Electrical and electronics engineering technicians
- Assist in the design, development and testing of electrical and electronic components, equipment, and systems
- Assist in inspection, testing, adjusting and evaluation of incoming electrical, electro-mechanical and electronic components and assemblies to ensure conformance with product specifications and tolerances
- Conduct life tests (burn-ins) on assemblies and record and analyze results
- Assist in building and testing prototypes to specifications
- Carry out a limited range of technical functions in support of research in electrical and electronic engineering and physics
- Install, operate and maintain electrical and electronic equipment and systems
- Calibrate electrical or electronic equipment and instruments according to technical manuals and written instructions
- Collect and compile operational or experimental data and assist in the preparation of estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications and reports.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
- Engineering Physics Technology
- Computer Engineering Technology
- Industrial Electronics Technology
Program lenght : 3 years
Enable students to acquire competence in the exercise of the profession, i.e. carrying out the tasks and activities of the profession at the level required for entry into the job market; help students integrate into the working world by familiarizing them with the job market in general and the specific context of the selected profession; foster the students' personal growth and encourage their continuing professional development; ensure students' future job mobility by helping them to acquire career-management skills.
Program length : 3 years
The aim of the Computerized Systems Technology program is to prepare students to practise the occupation of computerized systems technologist.
Computerized systems technologists are employed by companies active in production, technical support and research involving computerized systems. Although this description applies primarily to manufacturers, computerized systems technologists can also work for consulting firms or research laboratories. Their principal tasks are analyzing problems and situations, developing and building design projects, writing technical documentation, programming and coding systems, conducting tests and providing technical support.
In the exercise of their occupation, computerized systems technologists primarily use microcomputers and computers, software, computer networks, interfaces and peripherals, electronic components, printed circuits, circuit boards, mechanical products and components, electronic equipment, computerized systems and technical documentation.
Program length : 3 years
The Electrotechnology program aims to train students to be able to perform the activities related to production and set-up of materials and electrical and electronic equipment. The candidates will be employed in public service industries, computer service industries, in telecommunications, factories that produce electric and electronic materials, technical council boards, public and para-public organizations, editing companies and in transport as well as in radiotelecommunications and entertainment. They may also be called to manage projects and personnel, to do customer support, to manage stock and perform administrative duties.
Specialization A - Telecommunications
The main activities and tasks associated with telecommunications technologists are: installations and set up of service, maintenance, repair and modifications or updates of telecummunications systems.
Specialization B - Computers and network
The main activities and tasks associated with computers and network technologists are (electronic section): installation, maintenance, repair and modification fo electronic and computer equipment; (computer section): installation of material and software, maintenance, repair and customer service; (network section): installation, maintenance and functionality of a network and the necessary equipment.
Specialization C - Audiovisual
The main activities and tasks associated with audiovisual technologists are: installation and service set-up, maintenance, repair and modification or updating professional production and post-production systems and high quality diffusion. Radiotelecommunication technicians install, put together and repair electonic equipment that serves to record and broadcast live, as well as recorded, radio and televisions shows, as well as producing audio and visual trailers that are broadcast on the Internet. They work in radio and television broadcasting companies, broadcast equipment companies, and for Internet service communication providers.
Program length : 3 years
The key tasks for industrial electronics technologists are troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and installation and equiment set-up. In collaboration with engineers, industrial electronics technologists participate in the design or modification of automated systemes or electric installations. Industrial electronics technologists are also responsible for purchasing materials while staying within budget limits.