Secretaries (Except Legal and Medical)
Other titles : administrative secretary, secretary-stenographer, secretary-telephone operator, technical secretary
Secretaries perform a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and professional employers. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
Main duties :
- prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from shorthand, machine dictation and handwritten copy using computers;
- open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations;
- schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer;
- order office supplies and maintain inventory;
- answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages;
- set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems;
- determine and establish office procedures;
- greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person;
- record and prepare minutes of meetings;
- arrange travel schedules and make reservations;
- may compile data, statistics and other information and may conduct research;
- may organize conferences;
- may supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DVS)
Program length : One and a half year
To develop in the students the competencies required to apply the following principles, rules and methods: integrate harmoniously into the school and work environments; to proofread business texts; to apply a keyboarding technique; to manage administrative information; to understand and identify various management approaches to quality; to manage their time; to design the visual format of a document; to write business correspondence; to use database software; to use the basic functions of word processing software; to use the basic functions of spreadsheet software; to use the advanced function of word processing software; to use telecommunication tools; to communicate in a business in an office setting; to handle bilingual communications in an office setting; to produce and receive business correspondence; to produce documents; to handle requests regarding labour laws; to update files; to prepare business meetings; to carry out common and periodic accounting tasks; to produce business correspondence in French; to translate business correspondence into French.
Program length: one and a half years
To develop the skills necessary to apply the following principles, rules and methods: keyboarding in French and Inuktitut, business correspondence production, producing correspondence in Inuktitut, document management, quality of texts, time management, desktop publishing; develop the skills necessary for using the following software tools: browsers, databases, word processing, completing accounting tasks; develop the skills required to communicate in the workplace and to manage office communications in French and in English using appropriate telecommunications and computer tools; develop the skills necessary to complete secretarial tasks such as: producing business correspondence in English and in Inuktitut, business documents, processing requests concerning labour laws, prepare business meetings, bookkeeping, process salarues, updating files .
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Program length : 3 years
Specialization A: Office Work Coodination
This program is designed to develop theoretical and practical skills in management, in interpersonal relationships, and in the use of software and new areas in computer technology. It prepares students to be able to plan, organize, supervise and evaluate work in the office unit, in the recruitment and in the training of office staff. It teaches writing skills, text translation and revision, how to carry out procedures, the management of material resources and finances in an office unit, to manage a database, to manage documents and to organize seminars, conferences, congresses and other types of events. It develops their leadership skills and their sense of responsibility.
Specialization B: Micropublishing and Hypermedia
This program is designed to develop theoretical and practical skills in information technology as well as writing skills, and text translation and revision. It prepares students in the production, graphic concept and page layout of training manuals, forms, reports, publicity documents, newsletters and internal bulletins, multimedia presentatoins, web pages and other types of hypermedia documents. It prepares the students in project management. It develops in the students creativity, a sense of esthetics and to be conscious of minute details