Other titles : medical secretary, medical stenographer, ward secretary
Medical secretaries perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in doctor's offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings.
Main duties :
- schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and patients;
- prepare, key in, edit, and proofread medical records, reports, articles, case histories and correspondence from machine dictation, shorthand and handwritten notes using computers;
- interview patients in order to complete forms, documents and case histories;
- complete insurance and other claim forms;
- initiate and maintain confidential medical files and records;
- prepare financial statements and billing procedures;
- order supplies and maintain inventory;
- determine and establish office procedures and routines.
Attestation of Vocational Specialization (AVS)
Program length: Approximately 6 months
To develop in the students the competencies required to integrate harmonioulsy into the school and work environments, to transcribe and produce medical documents, to communicate in the workplace, to greet clients and to prepare and update their files and to carry out administrative tasks specific to a medical environment.
Admission requirements for an AVS
To enroll in an AVS program, a DVS or equivalent experience in a related field is required. The AVS is issued upon the successful completion of a program that upgrades skills or provides specialization in a particular trade or occupation.