Other titles : 911 dispatcher, car assignments clerk, communications specialist dispatcher, drilling rig radio operator, emergency medical dispatcher, emergency services dispatcher, emergency vehicle dispatcher, fire alarm operator, fire department dispatcher, gas service crew dispatcher, highway radio-telephone operator, inbound/outbound freight co-ordinator, mail service dispatcher, monitoring station operator, police department dispatcher, protective signal operator, radio dispatcher, service dispatcher, telecommunications operator, yard clerk
Dispatchers operate radios and other telecommunication equipment to dispatch emergency vehicles and to co-ordinate the activities of drivers and other personnel. They are employed by police, fire and health departments, other emergency service agencies, taxi, delivery and courier services, trucking and utilities companies, and other commercial and industrial establishments.
Main duties :
- receive requests for emergency assistance or service and contact ambulances, police and fire departments, tow-trucks, and utility crews;
- process and transmit information and instructions to co-ordinate the activities of vehicle operators, crews and equipment using a variety of computer-aided communications and dispatching equipment;
- dispatch personnel according to written schedules and work orders, or as required by emergency situations;
- advise vehicle operators of route and traffic problems such as construction, accidents, congestion, weather conditions, weight and size restrictions and other information;
- operate radio equipment to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations;
- monitor personnel workloads and locations;
- maintain vehicle operator work records using computerized or manual methods and ensure time sheets and payroll summaries are completed accurately;
- maintain computer and manual records of mileage, fuel use, repairs and other expenses, and generate reports.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Program length: 3 years
Le programme Techniques de la logistique du transport initie l’étudiante ou l’étudiant à la complexité des problèmes liés au transport et les forme par l’acquisition de connaissances, de techniques de gestion et de méthodes de travail spécifiques au transport et à la logistique, et à contribuer à la solution de ces problèmes.