Other titles : apprentice plumber, journeyman/woman plumber, maintenance plumber, marine plumber, plumber, plumber - pipefitting, plumber and/or pipe-fitter mechanic (health and social services network), plumber, (non-construction) maintenance and repair, plumber, maintenance and repair, plumber, residential construction, plumber-gas fitter - military, plumbing and heating mechanic (Quebec public service), plumbing installer, plumbing mechanic, radiator plumber
Plumbers install, repair and maintain pipes, fixtures and other plumbing equipment used for water distribution and waste water disposal in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. They are employed in maintenance departments of factories, plants and similar establishments, by plumbing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine layout of plumbing system, water supply network and waste and drainage systems;
- install, repair and maintain domestic, commercial or industrial plumbing fixtures and systems;
- locate and mark positions for pipe connections, passage holes and fixtures in walls and floors;
- cut opening in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings;
- measure, cut, bend and thread pipes using hand and power tools or machines;
- join pipes using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement or soldering, brazing and welding equipment;
- test pipes for leaks using air and water pressure gauges;
- may prepare cost estimates.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length : Less than 2 years
The Plumbing and Heating program prepares students to practise the trade of pipe fitter.
This trade is part of the building services sector and includes two specialties: plumbing and heating. Generally speaking, pipe fitters install, modify, repair and maintain plumbing and heating systems. More specifically, they work on pipes in water supply and drainage systems. They also work on pipes and other components of hydronic, steam, forced air, oil, radiant, natural gas and propane heating systems. They are interested in new technologies, in particular renewable energy (e.g. geothermic, solar).