Underground Production and Development Miners
Other titles : Apprentice miner;, Core-drill operator;, Powderman/woman - underground mining;, Production driller
Underground production and development miners drill, blast, operate mining machinery and perform related duties to extract coal and ore in underground mines and to construct tunnels, passageways and shafts to facilitate mining operations. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral underground mines and by specialized contractors in mine construction, shaft sinking and tunnelling.
Main duties :
- set up and operate drills and drilling machines to produce a designated pattern of blasting holes;
- operate diamond drills or other specialized drills such as raise boring machinery to test geological formations or to produce underground passageways;
- set up and operate mining machinery to shear coal, rock or ore from the working face;
- load explosives, set fuses, and detonate explosives to produce desired blasting patterns and rock fragmentation in underground mines;
- perform routine maintenance of mining machinery.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
- Ore extraction
- Diamond Drilling
Program Length: 1 year
To develop the effectiveness in the practice of a trade, to ensure integration into the work force, to foster personal and professional development and to ensure job mobility.
Program length : Approximately 9 months
To develop in the students the competencies required to integrate smoothly into the school and work environments, to safely perform the work, to prepare drilling operations, and to perform drilling operations.
Occupation targeted under the Workplace Apprenticeship Program.
This program was created by Commission des partenaires du marché du travail and Emploi-Québec in partnership with sector-based labor force committees.
It supports workplace apprenticeship and skill recognition programs.
Training and skill evaluation are under the supervision of an experienced worker. Once the apprenticeship is finished and skills are mastered by the apprentice, a certificate of qualification is issued and recorded in a government registry.
For more information on the Workplace Apprenticeship Program, see the Emploi-Québec website
- Occupation targeted under the Workplace Apprenticeship Program.
- Pour une carrière en or : tes perspectives d'emploi dans l'industrie minière (in french only).