Software engineers and designers
Other titles : application architect, artificial intelligence (AI) designer, artificial intelligence designer, computer applications engineer, computer software engineer, simulation software design engineer, software architect, software design engineer, software design supervisor, software design verification engineer, systems applications engineer, systems architect, systems engineer - software, telecommunications software engineer, telecommunications software specialist
Software engineers and designers research, design, evaluate, integrate and maintain software applications, technical environments, operating systems, embedded software, information warehouses and telecommunications software. They are employed in information technology consulting firms, information technology research and development firms, and information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- Collect and document users' requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
- Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
- Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
- Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
- Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects: