Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
Other titles : application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) design engineer, capacity planning analyst, computer engineer, network systems engineer, network test engineer, optical communications hardware engineer, optical systems engineer - telecommunications, radio systems engineer, telecommunications hardware engineer, telecommunications hardware specialist, telecommunications specialist - computer systems, telecommunications systems specialist, wireless communications network engineer
Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware and related equipment, and information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, intranets, the Internet and other data communications systems. They are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, by engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, in information technology consulting firms, by governmental, educational and research institutions and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
Main duties :
Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers perform
- Analyze user's requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
Network system and data communication engineers
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
- Computer and computer manufacturing engineering
- Computer Sciences
- Electrical, electronic, and communications engineering