Licensed Practical Nurses
Other titles : • Medical assistant (licensed practical nurse) – military • Surgical nursing assistant • Technical assistant – operating room (health and social services network)
Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses or other health team members. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, companies, private homes and community health centres. Operating room technicians are included in this unit group.
Main duties :
- provide nursing services, within defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures
- perform nursing interventions such as taking vital signs, applying aseptic techniques including sterile dressing, ensuring infection control, monitoring nutritional intake and conducting specimen collection
- administer medication and observe and document therapeutic effects
- provide pre-operative and post-operative personal and comfort care
- monitor established respiratory therapy and intravenous therapy
- monitor patients' progress, evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions and consult with appropriate members of healthcare team
- provide safety and health education to individuals and their families.
- operating room technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing the patients' operative areas
- assist in surgery by laying out instruments, setting up equipment, assisting surgical teams with gowns and gloves and passing instruments to surgeons
- clean and sterilize the operating room and instruments.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
DIPLOMA OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES (DCS)
Program length: 2 years
To acquire the knowledge, ability and attitude necessary to differentiate between health and illness; acquire the knowledge and ability to understand and apply the techniques learned, establish a helping role with those with health needs, engage in team work within the modern health organizationion, communicate effectively with patients and their family, with superiors and with other health team members.