Other titles : building construction estimator, certified construction estimator, construction cost consultant, construction estimator, electrical and mechanical quantity surveyor, principal estimator - construction, professional quantity surveyor, quantity surveyor-estimator, senior estimator - construction
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications;
- advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations;
- establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures;
- prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project;
- prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors;
- liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates;
- manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules;
- estimators may specialize in estimating costs for structural, electrical or mechanical construction projects.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
- Technologie de l'estimation et de l'évaluation en bâtiment
- Building System Technology
- Architectural Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology
(Training program available in French only)
Program length: 3 years
Ce programme d'études vise à ce que les élèves soient capables d'analyser à partir de plans et de devis des prévisions de coûts de travaux dans le domaine de la construction ou d'établir après des recherches et une inspection la valeur d'un immeuble résidentiel, agricole, commercial ou institutionnel.
Voie de spécialisation A - Estimation en construction
Cette voie de spécialisation vise à former des personnes aptes à exercer la profession d'estimatrice ou d'estimateur en construction.
Voie de spécialisation B - Évaluation immobilière
Cette voie de spécialisation vise à former des personnes aptes à exercer la profession de technicienne ou de technicien en évaluation immobilière.
Program length: 3 years
The Building Systems Technology program trains technicians to ensure the proper functioning of building systems and to manage the related energy costs. Building systems technicians work on plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration and fire protection systems, some of which are equipped with electrical controls and automatic control circuits.
Program lenght: 3 yerars
Architectural Technologists contribute to the development and completion of an architectural project or assist throughout its construction, as defined by the Architects Act, the Engineers Act, the Public Buildings Safety Act and the Professional Code. They may therefore produce drawings and promotional material, design construction details, write specifications, estimate construction costs, coordinate construction work, inspect the condition of an existing building, verify building compliance with laws, standards and the construction code, and contribute to maintaining the quality of an architectural heritage. The scope and the volume of tasks vary according to the type of business, and the type of work, and whether the individual occupies a salaried position or is self-employed.
Program Lenght: 3 years
Graduates of this program will be able to work in the structural engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental sectors. Their employers and clients will include engineering consulting firms, testing laboratories, government departments, municipalities and regional county municipalities, manufacturers of building materials or products and building contractors.