Instructors and Teachers of Persons with Disabilities
Other titles : maladjusted childhood counselor (health and social services network), rehabilitation teacher, sign language instructor, teacher of persons with a physical disability
Instructors and teachers of persons with disabilities teach children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities communication techniques, such as Braille or sign language, and rehabilitation skills to increase independence and mobility. They are employed in rehabilitation centres, specialized educational institutes and throughout the elementary and secondary school system.
Main duties :
- instruct students who are blind or visually impaired in reading and writing Braille and in the use of special equipment;
- instruct students who are deaf or hearing impaired in lip-reading, finger spelling and sign language, according to individual communication needs;
- instruct students who are hearing impaired in formation and development of sounds for speech using hearing aids and other devices;
- instruct individuals with physical disabilities and their families in the use of rehabilitative techniques, prosthetic devices, wheelchairs and other equipment designed to minimize the effects of a disability;
- assist individuals with intellectual impairments and physical disabilities to develop life skills and provide job training and support.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
- Special Care Counselling
- Youth and Adult Correctional Intervention
Program lenght : 3 years
This program is designed to train people to be special care counsellors. The technicians in special care counselling intervene concerning different problems: physical or psychological deficiencies, behaviour problems, mental or health-related problems, and after having taken care of adapting them, their re-integration to society.
Program lenght: 3 years
The Youth and Adult Correctional Intervention program trains technicians in the fields of delinquency prevention and the social integration of delinquents, working with delinquents both before they commit offences and after the application of court decisions or non-judicial measures. The technician will have daily interaction directly with youth and adults both before and after a delinquent act, with both men and women, or with victims of a criminel act. The technician will work in closed environments, semi- and open environments, mainly in provincial or federal detention facilities, residential centres, youth centres or different community organizations.