Early childhood educators and assistants
Other titles : baby-care worker or assistant or supervisor, child care worker assistant, co-op daycare co-ordinator, daycare aide or attendant or co-ordinator or daycare helper or supervisor or teacher, early childhood assistant, early childhood, education worker, early childhood program staff assistant, early childhood supervisor, infant daycare workers supervisor, nursery school helper or teacher, preschool helper or supervisor
Early childhood educators plan, organize and implement programs for children between the ages of infancy and 12 years. Early childhood educator assistants provide care for infants and preschool- to school-age children under the guidance of early childhood educators. Early childhood educators and assistants lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth and ensure their security and well-being. They are employed in child-care centres, daycare centres, kindergartens, agencies for exceptional children and other settings where early childhood education services are provided. Supervisors of early childhood educators and assistants are included in this unit group.
Main duties :
Early childhood educators
- develop and implement child-care programs that support and promote the physical, cognitive, emotional and social development of children;
- lead activities by telling or reading stories, teaching songs, taking children to local points of interest and providing opportunities to express creativity through the media of art, dramatic play, music and physical activity;
- plan and maintain an environment that protects the health, security and well-being of children;
- assess the abilities, interests and needs of children and discuss progress or problems with parents and other staff members;
- observe children for signs of potential learning or behavioural problems and prepare reports for parents, guardians or supervisor;
- guide and assist children in the development of proper eating, dressing and toilet habits;
- establish and maintain collaborative relationships with co-workers and community service providers working with children;
- may plan and organize activities for school-age children in child-care programs before and after regular school hours;
- may supervise and co-ordinate activities of other early childhood educators and early childhood educator assistants.
Early childhood educator assistants
- support early childhood educators in carrying out programs that promote the physical, cognitive, emotional and social development of children;
- engage children in activities by telling stories, teaching songs and preparing crafts;
- prepare snacks and arrange rooms or furniture for lunch and rest periods;
- assist with proper eating, dressing and toilet habits;
- submit written observations on children to early childhood educators or supervisors;
- maintain daycare equipment and assist in housekeeping and cooking duties;
- attend staff meetings to discuss progress and problems of children;
- may assist early childhood educators or supervisors in keeping records.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DEC)
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Care Counselling
Program lenght : 3 years
The purpose of this program is to train educators for child care services for children ages 0-12 years. The main function of the educators consists of creating a an environment that favours physical, psychomotor, cognitive, language, and socio-affective skills, and morals while establishing a positive relationship with the children. They are also responsible for the conception, organization, animation and evaluation of activities that contribute globally to the development of the children that are left in their care.
Program lenght: 3 years
This program is designed to train people to be special care counsellors. The technicians in special care counselling intervene concerning different problems: physical or psychological deficiencies, behaviour problems, mental or health-related problems, and after having taken care of adapting them, their re-integration to society.