Other titles : dental surgeon, dentist, doctor of dental surgery, endodontist, general practice dentist, implantologist - dentistry, oral and dental surgeon, oral and maxillofacial surgeon, oral medicine specialist, oral pathologist, pediatric dentist, pedodontist, periodontist, prosthodontist, public health dentist, stomatologist
Dentists diagnose, treat, prevent and control disorders of the teeth and mouth. They work in private practice or may be employed in hospitals, clinics, public health facilities or universities.
Main duties :
- Examine patients' teeth, gums and surrounding tissue to diagnose disease, injury and decay and plan appropriate treatment
- Restore, extract and replace diseased and decayed teeth
- Perform oral surgery, periodontal surgery and other treatments
- Clean teeth and instruct patients on oral hygiene
- Design bridgework, fit dentures and provide appliances to correct abnormal positioning of the teeth and jaws, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for use by denturists and dental technicians
- Supervise dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
* Dentists may specialize in such areas as oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, oral radiology or public health dentistry.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects: