Roofers and Shinglers
Other titles : built-up roofer;, roofer;, roofer, built-up flat tile roofer
Roofers install, repair or replace flat roofs and shingles, shakes or other roofing tiles on sloped roofs. Shinglers install and replace shingles, tiles and similar coverings on sloped roofs. They are employed by roofing and general contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
Plasterers perform some or all of the following duties:
- clean and prepare surfaces;
- mix plaster ingredients in trough to desired consistency;
- apply, level and smooth coats of plaster using trowels, floats, brushes and spraying equipment;
- trowel or spray coats of stucco over exteriors of buildings to form weatherproof surfaces;
- finish corners and angles and create decorative designs in finish coat, if required;
- cure freshly plastered surfaces;
- mould and install ornamental plaster panels, cornices and trim;
- spray acoustic materials or texture finish over walls and ceilings.
Drywall installers and finishers perform some or all of the following duties:
- measure, cut and fit drywall sheets for installation on walls and ceilings;
- position and secure sheets to metal or wooden studs or joists;
- cut and install metal corner beads to protect exterior corners;
- fill joints, nail indentations, holes and cracks with joint compound using trowel and broad knife;
- tape over joints using taping machine and embed tape in compound;
- smooth out excess compound and allow coat to dry;
- apply successive coats of compound and sand seams and joints;
- fabricate and install suspended metal ceiling grids and place in panels to form acoustical and coffered ceilings.
Lathers perform some or all of the following duties:
- prepare wall and ceiling layouts;
- install metal stud framing and furring for interior drywall or plaster walls and ceilings, using hand and power tools;
- attach metal or gypsum lath to studs or furring using nails, screws, clips or wire ties;
- cut openings in lath for heating and ventilation piping, ducts and electrical outlets;
- install corner beads and wire mesh around beams to which plaster is to be applied;
- may install acoustic tile, hangers for suspended ceilings and metal studs for composition wallboard or lath.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
(Training program available in French only)
Program Length: Approximately 8 months
Acquérir les connaissances, les habiletés et les attitudes nécessaires pour poser des revêtements de toiture sur des toits à versants (bardeaux, tôle, grès, tuile et matériaux composites), poser des revêtements d’asphalte et gravier et des revêtements de membranes monocouches (PVC, Hypalon, EPDM, Elastomère, etc.), faire la réfection de l’ensemble de ces revêtements ainsi que les réparations qu’imposent les infiltrations, dans le but de les isoler et de les imperméabiliser, procéder à l’entretien et aux réparations mineures de l’équipement.