Other titles : chimney bricklayer, concrete block setter, refractory brick repairer-mason, stonecutter
Bricklayers lay bricks, concrete blocks, stone and other similar materials to construct or repair walls, arches, chimneys, fireplaces and other structures in accordance with blueprints and specifications. They are employed by construction companies and bricklaying contractors or they may be self-employed.
Main duties :
- read sketches and blueprints to calculate materials required
- cut and trim bricks and concrete blocks to specification using hand and power tools
- prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks, stone, structural tiles and similar materials to construct or repair walls, foundations and other structures in residential, industrial and commercial construction
- lay bricks or other masonry units to build residential or commercial chimneys and fireplaces
- lay radial bricks to build masonry shells of industrial chimneys
- lay or install firebricks to line industrial chimneys and smokestacks
- line or reline furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations using refractory or acid-resistant bricks, refractory concretes, plastic refractories and other materials
- lay bricks, stone or similar materials to provide veneer facing to walls or other surfaces
- construct and install prefabricated masonry units
- lay bricks or other masonry units to build patios, garden walls and other decorative installations
- may restore, clean or paint existing masonry structures.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length: 1 year
To acquire the knowledge, ability and attitudes necessary upon entering the workforce to correctly and successfully complete the tasks and activities necessary for the masonry and bricklaying trade, such as sizing, cutting, installing with mortar, cement or other adhesive, as well as finishing joints with the following materials: different types of bricks, stone, blocks, refractory materials, prefabricated architectural cement as well as installing rigid insulation and welding anchors.
Attestation of Vocational Specialization (AVS)
(Training program available in French only)
Program Length: Approximately 6 months
Acquérir les connaissances, les habiletés et les attitudes nécessaires pour assurer la restauration d'ouvrages de maçonnerie, notamment les techniques d'étaiement, de démontage, de remontage, d'ancrage et de regréage des parements, de réfection des joints, de remodelage et de réfection des éléments de maçonnerie, de nettoyage et de protection des surfaces.
Admission requirements for an AVS
To enroll in an AVS program, a DVS or equivalent experience in a related field is required. The AVS is issued upon the successful completion of a program that upgrades skills or provides specialization in a particular trade or occupation.