Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers
Other titles : meat cutter - meat packing plant, meat tenderizer - food and beverage processing, poultry plucker, slaughterer - meat packing plant
: Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
Main duties :
- slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives;
- skin, clean and trim carcasses;
Industrial meat cutters
- cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging;
- remove bones from meat;
- cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts;
- remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program length : 1 year
To develop in the students the competencies required to integrate harmoniously into the school and work environments, to apply the rules of safety and hygiene carrying out retail butchery tasks, to use essential techniques and to perform additional retail butchery duties.
Occupation targeted under the Workplace Apprenticeship Program.
This program was created by Commission des partenaires du marché du travail and Emploi-Québec in partnership with sector-based labor force committees.
It supports workplace apprenticeship and skill recognition programs.
Training and skill evaluation are under the supervision of an experienced worker. Once the apprenticeship is finished and skills are mastered by the apprentice, a certificate of qualification is issued and recorded in a government registry.
For more information on the Workplace Apprenticeship Program, see the Emploi-Québec website