Other titles : accident and sickness - insurance, group underwriter - insurance, casualty insurance products analyst-designer, insurance rating analyst, liability underwriter, life underwriter, personal lines underwriter, property underwriter
Insurance underwriters review and evaluate insurance applications to determine insurance risks, insurance premiums and extent of insurance coverage according to company policies. Insurance underwriters are employed at head and branch offices of insurance companies.
Main duties :
- review individual and group applications for automobile, fire, health, liability, life, property, marine, aircraft and other insurance;
- evaluate new and renewal applications to determine insurance risks, insurance premiums, extent of insurance coverage and other conditions of the insurance contract using medical reports, rate tables and other documents and reference materials; adjust premiums, coverage or risk itself to make acceptance of new and renewal applications possible;
- approve sale of insurance policies and ensure compliance with government regulations;
- provide recommendations on individual or group insurance plan designs;
- provide underwriting advice and answer inquiries from clients and from insurance agents, consultants and other company personnel;
- prepare underwriting reports and update insurance forms when necessary.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
Program length : 3 years
The aim of the Insurance and Financial Advisory Services program is to train individuals to perform various activities related to insurance and financial services.