Other titles : assembly fitter, heavy equipment fitter, machine builder, mechanical fitter
Machine fitters fit, assemble and otherwise build heavy industrial machinery and transportation equipment, including aircraft engines. They are employed in industrial machinery and transportation equipment manufacturing industries.
Main duties :
- read and interpret blueprints, sketches and diagrams to determine assembly operations;
- fit and assemble prefabricated metal parts to build heavy industrial machinery and equipment such as construction, farming, and processing machinery, railway vehicles and aircraft engines;
- move and align subassemblies and components using lifting and transporting devices such as overhead cranes;
- install major components such as gears, pumps, motors or hydraulic assemblies;
- inspect parts, subassemblies and finished products to ensure quality.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program Length: 2 years
To develop in the students the competencies required to integrate harmoniously into the school and work environments, to interpret drawings, specifications and other technical documentation, to diagnose malfunctions in equipment, to apply the techniques needed to practise the trade and to maintain, repair and install industrial equipment.
Program Lenght: 2 years
Acquire the knowledge, ability and attitude necessary to assure functioning and maintenance of automated production equipment all the while respecting quality and technological changes, troubleshooting, repairing different systems and parts, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical and electronic circuits, working in different companies that use automated systems.