Retail and Wholesale Buyers
Other titles : cattle buyer, clothing buyer, fruit buyer, wholesale buyer
Retail and wholesale buyers buy merchandise for resale by retail and wholesale establishments and are usually responsible for the merchandising operations of retail and wholesale establishments. Retail and wholesale buyers who are supervisors and those who are assistants are included in this unit group.
Main duties :
- purchase merchandise for resale by retail or wholesale establishments;
- review requirements of establishment and determine quantity and type of merchandise to purchase;
- study market reports, trade periodicals and sales promotion materials and visit trade shows, showrooms, factories and product design events;
- select the merchandise which best fits the establishment's requirements;
- interview suppliers and negotiate prices, discounts, credit terms and transportation arrangements;
- oversee distribution of merchandise to outlets and maintain adequate stock levels;
- retail and wholesale buyers may specialize in a particular merchandise line.
Diploma of College Studies (DCS)
- Business Management
- Commercialisation de la mode
Program length : 3 ans
Business management technicians will develop the responsibilities of managing a business or supervising a commercial sales team in a commercial establishment or company.
Those managing businesses work mainly in retail or wholesale, as well as businesses and specialized services in product sales services. The emplyees can be either salaried workers or independant contractors. In retail businesses, they hold a manager's title, in wholesale or specialized services, they usually hold a title of sales team supervisor.
The main responsibilities for a business management technician are to manage sales personnel, to attain sales objectives, to promote and market products or services, to acquire stocks as well as to assure customer service. As well as being responsible for the business or the sales team, these same people are sometimes called to participate in the sales of products and services.
(Training program available in French only)
Program length: 3 years
Former des techniciens et des techniciennes en commercialisation de la mode pouvant oeuvrer dans les domaines de la vente en gros et en détail, les achats, la présentation visuelle et la promotion : analyser le marché, effectuer des achats, assurer la distribution des produits, effectuer la mise en marché, gérer et former du personnel et assurer le service à la clientèle.