Other titles : coil winder and repairer, electric motor mechanic, generator repairer, repairer, electrical instruments
Electrical mechanics maintain, test, rebuild and repair electric motors, transformers, switchgear and other electrical apparatus. They are employed by independent electrical repair shops, service shops of electrical equipment manufacturers and maintenance departments of manufacturing companies.
Main duties :
- test and observe electrical, electronic and mechanical components and systems using testing and measuring instruments;
- troubleshoot and repair electric motors, transformers, switchgear, generators and other electro-mechanical equipment;
- replace or recondition shafts, bearings, commutators and other components;
- wind, assemble and install various types of coils for electric motors or transformer;
- perform static or dynamic balancing of armatures or rotors by welding, brazing or soldering electrical connections and by aligning and adjusting parts;
- perform some machining to recondition or modify shafts, commutators or other parts;
- electrical mechanics may specialize in working with certain types of apparatus, such as electric motors or transformers, or in performing certain functions, such as winding coils.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program lenght : 2 years
Acquire the knowledge, ability and attitude necessary to assure functioning and maintenance of automated production equipment all the while respecting quality and technological changes, troubleshooting, repairing different systems and parts, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical and electronic circuits, working in different companies that use automated systems.
Occupation targeted under the Workplace Apprenticeship Program.
This program was created by Commission des partenaires du marché du travail and Emploi-Québec in partnership with sector-based labor force committees.
It supports workplace apprenticeship and skill recognition programs.
Training and skill evaluation are under the supervision of an experienced worker. Once the apprenticeship is finished and skills are mastered by the apprentice, a certificate of qualification is issued and recorded in a government registry.
For more information on the Workplace Apprenticeship Program, see the Emploi-Québec website
Pour une carrière en or : tes perspectives d'emploi dans l'industrie minière (in french only).