Database Analysts and Data Administrators
Other titles : data administrator, data analyst - informatics and systems, data custodian, data dictionary administrator, data miner data mining analyst, data warehouse analyst, database administrator (DBA), database analyst (DBA), database architect (DBA), database designer, database management supervisor - computer systems, database manager, EDP (electronic data processing) analyst, electronic data processing (EDP) specialist, electronic data processing (EDP) systems analyst, information resource analyst, technical architect - database
Database analysts design, develop and administer data management solutions using database management software. Data administrators develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models. They are employed in information technology consulting firms and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
Main duties :
- collect and document user requirements;
- design and develop database architecture for information systems projects;
- design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems;
- conduct research and provide advice to other informatics professionals regarding the selection, application and implementation of database management tools;
- operate database management systems to analyze data and perform data mining analysis;
- may lead, co-ordinate or supervise other workers in this group.
- develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models;
- research and document data requirements, data collection and administration policy, data access rules and security;
- develop policies and procedures for network and/or Internet database access and usage and for the backup and recovery of data;
- conduct research and provide advice to other information systems professionals regarding the collection, availability, security and suitability of data;
- write scripts related to stored procedures and triggers;
- may lead and co-ordinate teams of data administrators in the development and implementation of data policies, standards and models.
Regions where this career
has the best propspects:
DIPLOMA OF COLLEGE STUDIES (DCS)
Program length: 3 years
Specialization A - Administrative Data Processing
By the end of the program, the programmer will be able to organize and use data; correct programs; analyze the features of the information systems of various companies with a view to developing computer-aided solutions; develop conceptual models using the structured approach; exploit the possibilities of a networked computing environment; create and use databases; make functional improvements to an application; ensure the quality of an application; use multimedia processing utilitiesprovide technical support and training to users; install an application; design and develop an application in a database and in a graphics environment; and to design and develop a hypermedia application within internal and global networks.
Specialization B - Industrial Data Processing
By the end of the program the student will be qualified to analyze an industrial production environment; analyze the potential of an industrial peripheral; organize and store the data of an industrial system; create a communications link between an industrial system's hardware and software; develop a data transfer interface between industrial applications; develop an industrial application; conduct integration and stress tests; analyze an industrial system; diagnose and resolve the performance problems of an industrial system; develop and deliver an application suite for an industrial system.
Specialization C - Network Management
By the end of the program, the student will be qualified to use an algorighmic approach; analyse the architecture of a computer network; choose hardware; optimize teh functionalities of an operating system on a computer; ensure the security of a computer network's hardware and software; manage a computer population; manage a computer network; choose software; manage their time and ensure the quality of their work; provide technical support to network users; ensure the evolution of the computer network; diagnose and resolve network problems; set up a server; set up Internet-related technologies and services; plan the installation of a computer network; install a computer network; manage a computer network.