Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
Other titles : anesthetic attendant - hospital, continuing care assistant, emergency medical care assistant, emergency medical responder, emergency room aide, first aid attendant, geriatric aide, geriatric health care attendant, health care aide or assistant, hospice worker, hospital aide or attendant, nursing attendant, nursing orderly, nursing services aide, operating room aide, orderly, patient care aide or assistant or associate, psychiatric aide, registered care aide, special care facility attendant, surgical aide, unit assistant - medical, unit support technician - medical
Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates assist nurses, hospital staff and physicians in the basic care of patients. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities for the elderly and other health care establishments.
Main duties :
- answer call signals; supply and empty bed pans; bathe, dress and groom patients; serve meal trays, feed or assist in feeding of patients and assist patients with menu selection; weigh, lift, turn, and position patients; shave patients prior to operations; supervise patients' exercise routines, set up and provide leisure activities for patients, accompany patients on outside recreational activities and perform other duties related to patient care and comfort;
- take patients' blood pressure, temperature and pulse; report or record fluid intake and output; observe or monitor patients' status and document patient care on charts; administer first aid in emergency situations; collect specimens such as urine, faeces or sputum; administer suppositories, colonic irrigations and enemas and perform other procedures as directed by nursing and hospital staff;
- transport patients by wheelchair or stretcher for treatment or surgery;
- carry messages, reports, requisitions and specimens between departments;
- make beds and maintain patients' rooms;
- maintain inventory of supplies;
- may perform maintenance tasks such as assisting with the set-up and maintenance of traction equipment, cleaning or sterilizing equipment, maintaining and repairing equipment, and assembling, setting-up and operating job-related equipment;
- may transport patients between care facilities.
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
Program length : less than a year
With the help of an intervention plan, this program trains the student to provide care, assistance and services related to the needs of a patient of any age. The students also learn to welcome and integrate persons in the care unit, provide care and comfort specific to the context of the unit, that is, they adapt the basic care and services to the client’s condition as well as to the apparatus required.